Rating movies is silly but it's also good fun. I don’t write much about the movies I see (see left column of the main page), but it's nice to offer a quick opinion.
Weblogs need a different rating scale from that used by newspaper critics. The newspaper is going to review everything that gets released, and so the critic is going to watch a lot of obscure and idiotic movies you’ll never see. When planning your own viewing, you have time to be selective — and you’re not likely to watch nearly as many films as, say, Roger Ebert.
Here's my current thinking:
- Great: one of the best movies ever made
- Apocalypse Now, Some Like It Hot
- One of the very best movies of its kind ever made, or a nearly great movie
- Mullholland Drive, Tootsie
- A fine movie, well worth seeing, or an essential movie for people who are interested in this kind of movie.
- Run Silent, Run Deep; Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back