Roger Ebert blogs Roger’s little rule book, a brilliant list of rules for critics.
- Advise the readers well
- Provide a sense of the experience
- Keep track of your praise
- Do the math
- Respect the reader’s time
- Do not make challenges you cannot back up
- Respect the reader’s money
- Beware of verbal parallelism
- Trailers: have nothing to do with them
- Be wary of freebies
- Accept no favors
- No commercial endorsements
- Be prudent with free DVDs
- No advertisements
- Be prepared to give a negative review
- No posing for photos
- Sit down, shut up, and pay attention
Read the whole thing.
The final rule would make a fine tag line for the weblog.